Friday, December 12, 2008

Irish Referenda

You can't say "no" to Brussels, it seems. The Irish tried and have been told "wrong answer, try again". I'm no expert, but when the Irish people - some of the most politically savvy in the world I would suggest - say "No" it is because they mean "No".
I hope the next referendum is an even bigger "No". Not because I'm against the Lisbon Treaty (I'm actually quite a fan) but because the democratic process is much bigger and much more important than the beaurocracy of the EU. If a nation votes against something in the only process that even approximates to true democracy - the referendum - their choice should be recognised and respected.
So come on Ireland! If I promise to vote for Eoghan Quigg will you promise to vote "NO!" and uphold democracy for all of us?

PS: I know Eoghan is from Northern Ireland. I'm still in shock from Diana Vickers bombing out.

1 comment:

GC said...

I'm not a fan of the EU. They don't know the meaning of the word democracy.

Although, on that basis, they probably would have ignored the people and rigged it so that Diana Vickers stayed in.

A difficult decision.